Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Eye Exam

It's spring break this week and so I'm taking the opportunity to get all sorts of medical stuff taken care of - annual checkup with general physician, eye exam, mammogram, dentist, stuff like that. I went to my eye exam at Lens Crafters yesterday and had a thorough eye exam. The recommendation as a result of that eye exam was that I should get some progressive lenses in three separate areas...reading, computing and distance. I selected a very inexpensive frame and a clearance sunglass frame, thinking about how often I'm wearing my sunglasses while driving and can't see stuff that I need to look closely at, like mapquest directions or phone numbers or grades on papers that my children insist on showing me as I'm driving. I asked the sales clerk to work up some total numbers on the two frames plus the exam (on which I got a 25% discount through my insurance) making sure to include the 50% off lens sale, which apparently can't be used with the general 30%-off-the-entire-package-deal, but after an hour of calculations turned out to be less of a discount than the 50% off deal...

Anyhow, the clerk came up with a grand total, with discount, of $638. What???? Perhaps only one of the frames - forget the sunglasses....$320-ish. In my discussion with the eye doctor, I asked him if I could just get away with magnifiers and he said that I could, but there was a slight difference in the amount of magnification I would need for each eye (2.75 for one eye and 3.00 for another - give or take). I asked him if by not using the progessive lenses, was I harming my eyes in any way? He said that I wouldn't be harming them. My eye issues are a part of aging and they will degenerate no matter what. Things would just be clearer (and when I say "clearer" I mean very slightly clearer) with the progressive lenses.

Okay, so I then did something I have never done based on the fact that I realized something that I had never comprehended before....Lens Crafters' job is to SELL glasses. Duh! That's how they make their money. I don't HAVE to buy their glasses. I needed the exam to check for eye health issues, but I didn't have to buy their glasses. So I said, "Thank you very much. I will need to think about this." and left the store with my prescription in hand, but no glasses!

I was so so so thrilled. I knew that there was one person that would be as thrilled as I was that I figured this SELL vs NEED thing out. His name was John...Big J, little o. h. n. I immediately called him after I got to my car to share this good news. He would be SO proud. I was giddy. I selected contacts on my phone...pressed J for John and selected connect. The phone rang a few times and finally was answered..."You have reached the cell phone of Jane." (read Big J, little a n e). "I am not available to answer your call right now....blah, blah, blah."

In my excitement over telling John my good news, I couldn't see well enough to get the right number. I dialed Jane instead of John.

I laughed very hard at myself.

D.

4 comments:

Jody said...

Ha! I love that you share so much. Expensive and funny and everything. Two of my kids just got new glasses. Brock is sort of a complex case so we took them both to the optomologist. But then filled the prescriptions at Walmart to the tune of $38 a piece. Plus a full year guarantee. You might want to check them out! And maybe you can accidentally call 'Jody' instead of John or Jane next time. :)

Jody said...

Ha! I love that you share so much. Expensive and funny and everything. Two of my kids just got new glasses. Brock is sort of a complex case so we took them both to the optomologist. But then filled the prescriptions at Walmart to the tune of $38 a piece. Plus a full year guarantee. You might want to check them out! And maybe you can accidentally call 'Jody' instead of John or Jane next time. :)

Lesley said...

I had that same realization with my husband's eyeglasses. After flipping my lid at the costs, I now find his favorite cute frames online and then take them to Costco. They put the lenses into the frames MUCH cheaper. I won't allow my husband to walk into a regular eye "shop" again.

Jan B said...

Oh, Diane. I'm having a sad day because of a loss in the family - but your post made me laugh out loud. Seriously. Thanks... :)