Friday, March 11, 2011

The Approach

Good Day to you, Marissa, Julie and the rest of you who have been getting a wee bit upset about my lack of blogging lately.

I'm approaching my fiftieth year here on earth. It's just a number, I know, but it's an even number...a big even number. I totally thrive on fresh starts, new beginnings, rearranging of furniture, new journals...that kind of stuff. As I approach my fiftieth year here on earth, I know that it is a year that will happen only once in my life. I know that it is a year that I want to remember. It is a year that I want to live fully no matter what it brings. It is a year in which I want to set goals for the rest of my life.

When I was younger, I had a whole list of things that I knew I would do "later". Now that it IS "later", I realize that there are things that I will not do in my lifetime. I also realize that some of the things that I WILL do on that list will not be done in the young physical body I was in when I thought up the list in the first place. These are exciting things to contemplate. It grounds me and lights a fire under my butt at the same time. It's time for action, but before the action, it's time to figure out what I REALLY dream about and spend my energy on accomplishing those kinds of things.

I still have a few days before I enter that fiftieth year on earth, but here are a few things that I've realized and want to explore more:
I LOVE road-tripping with my children.
Retreats with my sisters and at cousin camp are times that swell my heart with joy.
"Connecting" with my husband lightens any load I am carrying (and no, I don't mean what you think I mean...I mean those moments when you just "get" each other because you know each other so well)
Discovering truth through diligent studying or contemplation or observing brings an electric sort of jolt to the system that is unmatched. I like it.
Playing with art supplies while listening to MY favorite music is an incredible way to live life to the fullest.

This is just a beginning. I have more contemplation to do in the next 8 days. Stay tuned. Maybe it won't be so long before my next post.

A little fact: My brother, Johnny and I am the same age for 6 days each year. That 6-day period starts on Sunday. Happy birthday, little brother, wherever you are.

D.

2 comments:

Jody said...

You might be approaching 50, but you do so with a lot of youth and a big heart. So I have no doubt that there is a lot of greatness for you to experience, create, savor, enjoy, behold, witness and just breathe in. I'm so glad to be a very small part of your life and some of the joys you've felt in the first 49 years. You know I wish you lots of goodness and blessings for all the years you have left. May they be more than you dreamed they could be! Love ya. {BTW, it's birthday week for us coming up too- Ava is 7 on the 14th and Teagan will be 4- again.}

Julie said...

I loved my personal "Hello" from you!! The next 50 years are going to be more fun and exciting than you can imagine. Add to your bucket list a trip to Reno! Happy Birthday! XOXO