Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kindergarten woes

Yesterday, January 18th was my very best friend from Kindergarten's birthday. I lost track of her in about 2nd grade or so, but for some reason, I remember that Jan. 18th is her birthday and I say a silent Happy Birthday to her.

Her name is Gayle Bullock and we lived in Hayward, CA at the time. She was my first best friend because we walked to school together each morning. It was a glorious time! It was always warm - because it was California and not Illinois where it's freezing for most of the year. We were in the same Kindergarten class - Mrs. Baily's (we accidently called her Mrs. Belly once and almost peed our pants laughing so hard). That year I had a crush on David Sims. At recess the boys would go around trying to lift up the girls' skirts. Really? That strikes me as incredibly odd at this moment. What would kindergarten boys hope to gain by glimpsing a kindergarten girl's undergarments?

Anyhow....Happy Birthay, Gayle, wherever you are in this world. You always had WAY more Barbies than I did, which was why I loved playing at your house instead of mine. I think you were more rich, too. I had only one Barbie that I can remember. You had the house, the cars, the Kens, the Skippers - everything. I envied you. I guess that is when I first started seeing myself as "less than" because I didn't have as many material possessions as someone else.

Kindergarten? We can think of ourselves as "less than" in Kindergarten? Geez. I so needed that therapy!

D.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

I still remember a lot of my childhood friends' birthdays as well. :) And I had that friend that I envied. She had WAY more barbies than me as well, as well as art supplies. dang.

Nancy Mae said...

I remember little Gayle Bullock, too. I remember her bangs most of all. They were so perfectly straight and well cut. I too, felt
"less than" around her mother because I could not cut yours or Margie's as well as her mom...who was, by the way so, together, trim and well dressed...but very sweet.

Nancy Mae said...

I remember little Gayle Bullock, too. I remember her bangs most of all. They were so perfectly straight and well cut. I too, felt
"less than" around her mother because I could not cut yours or Margie's as well as her mom...who was, by the way so, together, trim and well dressed...but very sweet.