Monday, December 20, 2010

The Storymatic

Dare I allow myself to embrace a dream come true without waiting for the bomb to drop?

We all have different reasons or even the same reasons for wanting children. Truth be told, the reason I wanted children the most is so that I would have people to play games with -I mean good old-fashioned games where the family sits around and shares some good laughs.

In my children's younger years, it was really tough to find a game that we could all enjoy - and getting John to even THINK about playing Candyland was a task too large to think about. Then came all of the video craziness and computer games and little gadgets which multiplied faster than I could master them...alas, my dream of family games came to an end.

I set my heart to enjoying all of the other wonderful reasons to have children.

Last night my dream came back to life. I picked up this game called, The Storymatic. I was really only going to use it as a prompt to write each day. Katie Rose also loves to write and I invited her to share this game with me. The chair by the floor to ceiling window is where I keep the "storybook". Anyone can play the game at any time.

This is how you play: pick two gold cards - on these two cards are prompts to help you create your main character. You then pick two copper cards...these help develop your story line. Once you have your cards, set the timer for 15 minutes and just write away, using whatever comes into your mind.

Back to last night...after dinner, Katie Rose suggested that we all play the game, using the same cards. I was skeptical because I didn't think anyone else would want to play...but I was wrong. The entire family wanted to play. The paper and pens were distributed and the timer was ready. The cards we all had to work with were: Gold (tattletale, alien disguised as a human) and Copper (Talent Show, unclaimed baggage). Go! For 15 solid minutes we all wrote furiously. Snickers and giggles could be heard once in a while. "How much time is left?" was asked a couple of times.

When the 15 minutes were up, we each had to read our stories aloud. Although we all had used the same prompts, the stories were vastly different. We laughed and we laughed and we laughed. Mickey could barely get through reading his story, he was laughing so hard.

I was very impressed by the education my children have been getting, thus far. Gracey's story was very well-developed with all of the parts included...conflict, rising action, a logical ending. Johnny's story used examples and flowery language. Katie used a lot of detail in her story. Mickey used the word "poo" a lot in his story, but there were parts of it that made sense. I used the word "queried" in my story and John wrote about a guy with a really big forehead.

I hope we do this again. It was great fun and I was able to see my children in a new way, through their imagination.

D.

2 comments:

Shell said...

what a wonderful game!!! i love story prompts!

Louise Gale said...

WOW i know this! I met the peeps who created it at an art fair in NYC. Such a great game. Enjoy. x