Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Social Studies Test

On Wednesday night, Katie Rose whined that she had to take a Social Studies Test the next day and she needed help studying. First of all, I hate studying on the night before AND I hate it when Katie Rose waits until the night before to study because she is VERY crabby and nothing goes well.

I ask her, what can I do to help her study? She says that I can read her some questions. This would be fine except that I would have no idea if she was getting the answers right or not and in her "night-before-studying" crabbiness, I knew it wouldn't go well.

"Give me the book. What chapter are you on?"

"Mommmmmm...I HATE it when you have to read the book to study."

"Well, how else am I going to learn the information so that I can help you study?"

"Ugh!"

The chapter to be studied was on the French and Indian War, the Stamp Act, other acts, The Boston Tea party, General Pitt, General Wolfe, George Washington and stuff like that.

I began to read the chapter out loud, but assigned roles to the big names in the story. Gracey represented France, Johnny was Spain, Mickey was Britian and Katie Rose was the Native Americans. I got to be Washington, John was Benjamin Franklin and so on and so forth. Pretty soon Mickey was in on the action and we were all getting quite emotionally involved in the history.

After a couple of hours, it was time for bed. We had all had a good time and I learned some pretty interesting information. I was curious as to how I would fare on the test, if I had to take it.

Seeing as I work at the school, I went to the SS teacher during Katie's Social Studies period and asked if it would be okay for me to take the test with the students. She agreed and the students were sort of excited.

I finished the test - it was harder than I thought it would be. There were two essay questions and some extra credit stuff.

I turned in the test when I was finished and as the students prepared to go to their next class, many asked what I had answered for certain questions - comparing to see if we answered the same or different. I learned through one of these discussions that I had totally mixed up The Townshend Acts and The Intolerable Acts. Bummer!

I saw the SS teacher later in the day and eagerly asked, "How'd I do on the test?"
"Geesh. You're just like one of the kids. I haven't graded them yet."

I arrived at work this morning with the graded test on my desk. I got a 90%! Katie Rose was excited for me. Mickey was hoping I'd get an "F", but when I told him that I never hoped he got an "F" on a test, why would he want me to get an "F", he relented and was happy for my 90%. Now, 90%, in our school, is only a B. I knew I had mixed up some stuff, so I knew I wasn't going to get 100% and it was really interesting to look over the test and see where I had gone right and where I had gone wrong. (On one question, I put down two answers, because I couldn't remember what the answer was) A note in red writing from the teacher said, "Mrs. Dolan, you have to choose only one answer."

All to say, it was a fun experience. The other students were excited to find out what I had received on the test and I think it was good for them to hear that I thought that the test was harder than what I had imagined. I hope it encouraged them in that they saw how much fun test taking could be.

My only fear in this exercise was that Katie Rose would not do as well as I had done on the test....but it turned out that I didn't need to worry. She got a 103%.

D.

No comments: