Monday, September 20, 2010

NOC

When Mickey first started watching wrestling and wanted to talk about it non-stop, we (the family) laughed at him. "Don't you know wrestling is fake?" "It's all stupid." "Why are you spending money on those stupid wrestling figures?" "One day you should go and see a "real" wrestling event." Laugh, laugh, laugh....the entire family gave him a hard time about it.

He took it all in stride, but I remembered a story that John told me about his father. John was into magic at Mickey's age. He always bothered his family, showing them tricks, over and over and over. I can only imagine how boring this must have been for them. It came time for his 8th grade trip (a family tradition whereby each child gets to choose where they want to go upon completion of the 8th grade). John chose to go to a magic convention. His father took him to wherever it was and set him free at the convention. John loved it and had a blast, but to me the story was missing something. Burt had dropped him off at the convention, but didn't attend with him.





I began to feel a little sorry for Mickey - sticking to his guns amongst the teasing from those who are supposed to love him the most. He really wanted to attend this Night of Champions event. I decided to work with him and make it happen.

Many of you know the story of how I made bracelets as we watched wrestling and Mickey taught me the ins and outs of how wrestling worked. We sold those bracelets for $1 each in order to raise enough money to attend this event. (Wrestling is HUGE, by the way - tickets for good seats are very expensive). In addition to raising the money we needed, Mickey and I were able to bond like crazy. He taught me so much about himself through this process. I learned that he liked the underdog. He rooted for the good vs. the evil. He enjoyed the physicalness of the fighting, but cringed when things appeared to be too much.

All to say, I have enjoyed every moment of this special time I have had with him - time that will always be in his memory and mine.



By the time it was over, I was jumping up and down with my hands in the air, losing my voice from cheering so loudly.

If anyone ever wonders "why", just take a look at this photo. He had the best time of his life.

D.

P.S. Thank you to my good friend, Pam Callahan, who taught me to just "be there" when your kids are into weird, but non-dangerous things.





3 comments:

Jan said...

You're such a great mom. Just another thing to love about you. Just think of the stories Mickey will have to tell HIS kids. They will be full, lacking nothing... :)

Janice said...

Thanks for sharing this part of your life. It made me smile and give thanks for moms who take time with their kids.

THE WHITE HOUSE said...

Man, I love that boy and YOU! This totally made me cry. It is a great lesson to learn and to learn from...esp. for a Mom who is most likely going to have all boys (ME!). I am already learning that I am going to have to try and like new things and show some major interest in things that I could've cared less about before! Such a great post...thanks for sharing!