Monday, May 10, 2010

What I Learned on Mother's Day

What I learned this Mother's Day 2010 warmed my heart, so I'm going to share it with you.

A few days ago, I picked up Grace from school. She asked if we could take a friend of hers home and I said, "Sure."

(I just want to interject right here, that I wish I would have paid more attention when we were learning about quotation marks and writing dialogue in school because I seem to need it a lot in my posts.)

As Grace and her friend climbed into the van with all of their school stuff - back packs that weigh a ton and extra clothing and stuff - I noticed that Mary Clare (Grace's friend) was holding a painted pot with a flower. The pot was very colorful and said I love you.

"Ahhh, is that for your mom for Mother's Day?" Mary Clare nodded.

"Where's the one for your mom?" I ask Gracey.

"Oh, I didn't have enough money to make one," she replies.

We drop Mary Clare off at her house and as we are driving home to our house, one of the kids says, "Oh no! Mary Clare forgot her flower for her mom."

"We can go back and take it to her," I say. It's not very far away from where we are.

Gracey pipes up, "No, it's okay. I'm soooo hungry. I just want to go home. I'll give it to her tomorrow at school."

I'm thinking, "Okay, whatever."

Fast forward to the day before Mother's Day. I had the opportunity to stop at Starbucks and pick up a tin of my favorite tea. When I get home, I run into Gracey and give her the tin. "Hey, Grace. Here. You can give this to me tomorrow for Mother's Day."

"Whee," she replies.

I woke up early on Mother's Day, yesterday. When I went into my bathroom to brush my teeth, this is what I saw.


The note reads: Dear Momma, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! See? I made you think Mary Clare made that pot for her mom but really it was me! I am so clever. I hope you have a splendid day! Oh and your tea is there too. Hee Hee. I love you! Gracey

Here is what I learned from this experience....I learned to never give up hope - that what you think is one way is really not the way it always was. You know what I mean? Don't ever have a final judgment of someone. We grow and change according to our experiences in life; in how we act and react to the situations in which we find ourselves. We are never unchanging or unchangeable. That's what growing is all about. I don't mean to say that my daughter was mean or nasty or uncaring or any of those things. I knew that she loved me with all of her heart, but I also knew that I shouldn't necessarily expect her to outwardly show it. I get this, totally, and I love her for it. It's who she is....but what I learned is that it's not always who she will be. It took planning to set this all up. It was premeditated. Now that's outward caring! I could learn much from her.

I know - that's a lot to learn from a pot of flowers and a tin of tea.

Diane

P.S. I also received this from Mickey:and from Katie Rose I received the most wonderful helper in all the land, not just on Mother's Day, but on every day of the year.

From Johnny I received my very first "away from home" phone call on Mother's Day. That was weird.

4 comments:

THE WHITE HOUSE said...

Awww...I love your sweet children! They are such a blessing, and they are so blessed to have such a beautiful woman as their mother!!!

hintoflovexox said...

gracey**

hintoflovexox said...

im just sayin

kelleyj said...

Ahhh...!!! So sweet. We do tend to underestimate them, don't we? But, alas, they love you so much! :)
XO
I do too!