Friday, May 7, 2010

The Shipping Debacle continued...

Where was I?  Oh yes.  The nice lady in the post office line suggested that I go to UPS.  We have a really great UPS guy that delivers to our school.  His name is Brian.  I'm not sure why I didn't think of UPS first.  I guess I just thought that the United States Post Office would be cheaper, seeing as it is government, as opposed to a publicly owned company, which is all for profit. 

The people at UPS are SO very nice.  They tell me that my package will cost $28.00 to ship.  Although this is much better than the $68.20, it's sill way, way more than what I had expected.  The really nice UPS lady asks me a few questions about the item inside.  As I answer, she realizes that I don't need this big of a box.  If I can fit my item into a smaller box - more fitted to the item inside, she can ship it for $14.25!  Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about.  I ask her if she sells any boxes in the size that I need.  "No," she says to me,  "but right next door is a storage/moving business that sells boxes."  I am on it.  I drive the 50 feet to the next building where I am able to purchase the box I need for $5.00.  Okay, still need to order the Uline boxes, but it's much better than the $16.50 I've already paid for the first box.

UPS is open until 7:00pm and I want to ship today for the sake of my good reputation, so I have a couple of hours to transfer the Inspiration Board to the new box, print a new label, and drive back to UPS.  Things are beginning to look up.  I have persevered and am learning as I go.  Yippee! for me.

Once home, I begin the transfer, realize that I don't have enough shipping tape, run to Walgreens and spend $10.99 on two rolls and a dispenser.  It's okay, I'll use it on all of my future etsy sales.  I just need to grab some packing paper from downstairs - after all, we have a custom picture framing business.  It is when I take my first step into the basement that I realize that I am surrounded by boxes - not just any boxes, mind you, but the sort and size that one would need to ship a framed item.  Really?  I had the boxes here the whole time?  The older I get, the more I realize that I'm going to end up in a special "home" one day.

I am ready to print out another label - this time from UPS.  I'm a little nervous as I begin, but I can't chicken out now.  I know I can do this.  I enter the measurements of the box, enter the weight and wait for the total to appear.....$14.25.  Halleluiah!  I print, apply and drive.  Taking the package in, I'm still a bit gun-shy.  I give the package to the guy, and stand there.  "Can I help you with anything else?" he asks. 

That's it?  I'm done?  Everything's okay?

I email the purchaser of my first Etsy sale to let her know that the item has been shipped.  She emails me back saying that it is also her first Etsy purchase.  How sweet that we are going through this together.

Estimated cost of shipping:  $10.00
First Box:  $16.50
First Label from USPS:  $19.50
Second Box from storage/moving company:  $5.00
Packing Tape:  $10.99
Refund from USPS label:  minus $19.50
UPS shipping label:  $14.25

So my total shipping cost was about $45.  That's exactly what the Inspiration Board Cost and I lost money on my first Etsy sale......however, I have come away with at LEAST $45 worth of learning.
From now on, I'll list the boards at a shipping cost of $15.00.  I'll use boxes that I already have.  I have plenty of packing tape. 

I'm sure John can't wait for my 2nd Etsy sale.

Diane

3 comments:

THE WHITE HOUSE said...

I loved reading this. =) I was hoping you were going to post when you got it all figured out! Hope you sell another one soon!

And by the way, I'm sure your children have a very special home picked out for you already. =)

Traci Keriazakos said...

Sam's club has the cheapest tape. I get like nine rolls for $16. Call me if you wanna talk Etsy or shipping. I've gotten so much better in my one year of selling on there. I've had to learn all kinds of stuff I never imagined I'd have to learn, such as SEO for Google. It's fun though and I enjoy every minute of it. Congrats on your first sale!! I am working on my 175th!

Jan said...

Ohhhh, what a saga! I'm glad it all turned out mostly okay in the end. It sure was fun to read, though! :)