Saturday, March 13, 2010

Mickey and Wrestling

Here is my buddy-boy, Mickey.

I try to wake up in the morning way before everyone else simply because it's peaceful. I can study my Bible, check my email, and contemplate the day.

Today is Saturday and Mickey has a band contest to participate in at 9:00am. I woke up earlier than everyone else, as normal, but when I went downstairs, I saw that Mickey had fallen asleep on the sofa, sleeping there all night.

He awoke when he heard the noise of the coffee being made. Don't get me wrong....I love that my kids wake up, I was just hoping for a little more alone time before I jumped into the day. Well, first thing he does is grab the remote and turn on wrestling. I have been struggling with letting him enjoy wrestling since he developed an interest in it about 6 months or so ago. We've had talks where I explain that it's not "real", that the wrestlers are just actors. I think he gets it for the most part.

This morning, though, as I was trying to do my Bible study with the wrestling on in the background, I just had a notion that something was very wrong with this picture. I've tried to glean something positive from wrestling, I have, but there just doesn't seem to be any good lessons or anything in it. So this morning, I put down my Bible Study and went over to the TV and turned it off. "Awwwwww, Mom. Whatdja do that for?"

I sat down next to him on the sofa and said, "Let's just talk for awhile." As stupid as this sounds, I sat there and tried to explain that as I was doing my Bible Study, I just "felt" that the Holy Spirit was really leading me in turning off the wrestling. I wanted to talk about what Mickey liked about the wrestling. He tried to explain that it was that actual physical fighting - I get that. But there is another LARGE portion of wrestling that is just arguing or "egging each other on" and not always in an appropriate way. So I asked Mickey why he watched the arguing part and he couldn't explain why he liked it, but said that he DID like that part, too.

I tried to get into his head and feel why he liked this part of it, because truly, it is that part of the wrestling thing - the story lines - that I find so disturbing. He agreed with me when I asked if it was about building up a strong dislike for one of the opponents so that you could fully root for another one. It's like you physically get pumped for the guy you think is the "good guy", even though I haven't really seen any characters that are "good guys". It's a man thing, I think.

Well, all to say that I am happy that instead of WATCHING wrestling this morning, Mickey and I TALKED about wrestling this morning.

I just feel strongly about letting my children find their own way in their likes and dislikes, what is right or wrong, good or bad. On the other hand, I am their mom and it is my job to lead them in the right direction. At 10 years old, I'm just not sure that Mickey is develpmentally able to discern what is real and not real in this case. I think it is still fuzzy for him.

I'm sure I'll let him watch wrestling again, but at least this morning he is aware of my hesitation and is aware that he needs to keep an eye out for the truth.

Way longer than I planned, but there it is.

D.

1 comment:

Pamela Callahan said...

I understand what you are saying. I got into wrestling "by default" as a friend of mine said. Anyway, sometimes I think wrestling helps a boy channel any anger he has. I could be wrong. Love, Pam