Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Birthday Day


Yesterday, as many of you know, was my birthday. As people wished me a happy birthday, they often asked if I was 29 or 35 or even 40, knowing full well that I was more like upper 40's. Our society seems to chuckle at the shared joke that we don't particularly like growing older. I laughed along with everyone else, but let me tell you something.....

From the moment I woke up to the time I went to bed, I was surrounded by people who showed their love for me in ways that made me feel so special. As I walked down the stairs at 5am to get ready for the day, I could already smell the coffee brewing (hubby set the coffee timer so that it would be ready when I woke up.) I had my quiet time with the Lord and He told me to just watch - watch what he was going to show me that day.

Once I arrived at work (after the traditional coffee cake/balloon/card breakfast with the family), I was met with surprise after surprise after surprise. I received notes, cards, flowers, cups of coffee, girl scout cookies - all my favorite lemon ones. I answered phone calls from parents of students who had already graduated from St. Norberts who wanted to wish me a happy birthday. I received more balloons, my favorite salad for lunch, a handmade snowflake. I was sung to by the preschool class as they went outside for their nature walk. I was sung to in Spanish by the fourth grade on their way in from Stations of the Cross. I was sung to by the 7th and 8th graders at their lunch time. My really tall car was painted all over with "Honk for Diane. It's her birthday" by a really short person. (One little girl asked worriedly, "Does she have permission to do that?") I received two chocolate cakes, a handmade felted heart, a beautiful scarf to add to my collection, tulips, daffodils, more cookies, a latte from starbucks and even a pot of beautiful flowers from someone who didn't even know it was my birthday, but just wanted to thank me for thanking her.

It was unbelievable. I was surrounded by a cocoon of birthday love by family, friends, students, co-workers, parents, priests, sisters, brothers, husband, children, oh so many people......and then it hit me. I saw what the Lord told me to watch for that morning....

I saw that each and every one of those 48 years contributed to the reason I was so surrounded by love. For each year I have lived, I have learned better to love. That is why I'll never joke on my birthday saying that I am 29 or 35 or even 40.

Thank you all for making me feel so special and thank you, God for letting me hang around here for so many blessed years.

D.

2 comments:

Cricket said...

I'm so happy that you had such a wonderful birthday Diane! How awesome to have "seen" the blessings!

Smiles,

kelleyj said...

Amen, sister. I feel the same way on this...my 45th birthday. I'm sorry I missed your birthday and feel like a schmuck. It sounds like you had a glorious day. Praise God. Reading about your birthday made me very happy for you!