Friday, December 28, 2007

It's Not New Year's Day Yet

It's not New Year's Day Yet, but I am certainly anticipating the New Year. I work at an elementary school and so my vacation time is the same as my children's. I have taken this time off from work to organize. If I could stay away from my computer for a long enough time, I may be able to accomplish my goal.
So far, I've worked on the kitchen and the scrap studio. Although I have made a great deal of progress, we are eight days into my vacation and neither room is complete as of yet. Okay, okay, Christmas was thrown in there, but still, I don't know that I'm making the progress I'd like to make.
The thing is that I spend so much time organizing that the Life that I want in so badly is passing me by. Okay, that's not so depressing as it sounds.....As I clear out clutter and make sure every single thing has a place, I re-purpose it, or I remember what its purpose is. That smoothie maker that has been sitting on my counter for a year is great to have out in the summer, but its just taking up valuable counter space in the winter. I don't remember the last time someone in this house made a smoothie.....so, the smoothie maker has moved to a new home, BUT I sort of now have a hankerin' to make a fresh smoothie. As I get my scrap studio put together, I've had to go through boxes of stuff that I forgot I had and now I have bunches of new ideas on how to use it. And I organized everything by color, which works for how I work.
Last night two of my four kiddos were sleeping over at someone else's house. Husband John took the two left over to his mom's house to visit with out of town cousins. I all of a sudden had my house to myself with my music in my room with my pen and my calendar and my lists of things to do. I felt such peace. I took out some boxes of old photos.....I put on some of my favorite Point of Grace music and just went through photos to see which ones I was inspired to take to the 12 hour crop tomorrow. You know when you see a photo that you haven't seen in a very long time and had forgotten about? You know how your stomache just gets all butterfly-ey as you remember and embrace the life that was yours 20 years ago? You know when you see yourself without that huge wrinkle running down the middle of your forhead and think, "Wow, I sure looked good then." That's what I experienced for 2 hours all by myself. What a great retreat!
Here's to hoping that the New Year will bring a new Life Moment each time you need one.

5 comments:

angel said...

thnx for leaving a message!!
Good luck on getting things done now!!
have a great new years eve!!
xoxo

SpAzzGiRL said...

I love too go through the old photos like a walk down memory lane, I can easily get lost for hours in a box of photos!

Debbi said...

So glad you took time to yourself and looked at the old photos. I have not done that in forever. I might do it tonight.

Lisa said...

Wow, Diane you almost made me cry.. I am currently working with some of my mom's old photos and oh, how they make me miss my childhood, so I'm there, I know what you are feeling... I hope you get your New Years wish :)

Pearl Maple said...

Isn't lovely to have some time to yourself to organise life and reflect on the good things in life.

Have a great time at your scrap event & wonderful New Years.